Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Time to buy a bicycle? Time to celebrate?

The news comes in a year late, but better late than never. After last year's attempt at admissions to the M.Tech. programme at IITB, I had applied again this year...and it seems (from the website) that I have been offered a "direct admission" (that is, without further written tests and interviews) to the M.Tech. programme. Maybe the guys had some pity on me (eh...in one of the part-time diploma courses (subjects), we had the same paper as the M.Tech. guys and I was the topper among all students).

That should put me into celeberation mode, but it also puts me in a big dilemma. I had always put off for later thinking about whether I should get into this or not - the logic was simple - let me first get the admission and then I could decide. No point in thinking about the chickens until the eggs hatched. There is also the question as to what happens to the diploma course that I had enrolled for in the same institute.

Unfortunately, there is not much of a time to do the thinking as the fees (the ones that confirm the admission) need to be paid by May 3rd. With end semester examinations looming on both sides of May 3, it is unlikely that I will find time to think about this.

The plan then, is to confirm the admissions and then pull out, if need be. And if I do end up joining, then it would be the right time to buy a bicycle (as "motorized vehicles are not allowed on the campus except for emergency purposes").

Just to make it clear: the admission that I am supposed to have got is in the KReSIT (School of IT) and not the CSE department. I know CS is different from IT (ya, ya...we always thought that IT was for the intellectually less capable guys who didn't get into CS). On the other hand, after working for so long in the industry, plain CS no longer seems that attractive to me the way it used to be (I've still not been able to read "The Art of Computer Programming" by Don Knuth).

2 comments:

Jayaraman said...

It is Great to hear the news...
Congrats and keep it up

Jay

Aseem Rane said...

WOW!!!! Thats great!!!!!!
That calls for a scheme.
What say????