Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Emperor makes its run

"Shahenshah" chugged down the Western Railway line as planned.

I had decided that Andheri would be a nice place to catch it in action. Accordingly I had done most of my preparations...charging the batteries of the digital camera, ensuring space for the pictures to be taken, etc. Unfortunately, some work that cropped up at the last moment ensured that I had to rush to Andheri station. There were huge queues (I thought I needed a platform ticket) at the ticket vending windows. Every ticket counter I visited was full of long snaking queues. I decided to act wise in the interest of time and simply used a coupon in the CVM (Coupon Validating Machine). I do not know if a coupon can be used as a platform ticket...but I thought what the hell.

With great enthusiasm I rushed to the platform number 1. There were a lot of announcements being made related to change in the platforms for the regular local trains. I saw a couple of guys enter the Station Superintendent's office...they seemed to have a compact camera with them...I followed them and the guys in the office told us that the Heritage train would be passing through platform 4. I rushed to platform 4 to find a hell lot of people out openly with video cameras and other photography and videography equipment. Accompanying kids were also their parents.
I debated mentally what would be a good position to be at to take a good photograph. I decided to go to the very southern end of the platform since that is where the train would be seen first and there would be very little obstructions.

The time was about 11:20 a.m. by then. I suddenly realized that in all the haste I had forgotten to load a film in the SLR camera...I had thought I would buy it from some stall near the station. Unfortunately, it was a catch-22 situation...I wanted to go and get the film, but then the guys at the Station Superintendent's office had stated that it would be there in about 5 minutes. I thought of asking some guys with cameras if they could "sell" me an extra film roll they had. Then, I dropped the idea.

The crowd was growing restless every passing moment. Suddenly, at about 11:45 a.m., one could hear the Railway Police being very active and trying to keep a check on the people's movements (warning them not to go very close to the edge of the platform, etc.).

I could spot the loco coming in through the SLR camera lens (I was using the lens as a binocular). The loco was whistling (just for fun) and there was a lot of steam as it passed by. However, there was no "clagging" (no black thing coming out of its chimney). As it went by, passersby waved at the people in the train. Every coach had an attendant that was dressed in superb uniform...

As it passed by, some people ran along on the platform hoping it would stop...it didn't. Tired but happy spectators then started making their way back out of the platform. Within 2 minutes, there was a diesel loco (a Ratlam WDM3A #18707) with a most stunning livery on the same line. I guess this loco would be pulling the Heritage rake back to Mumbai Central.

I contemplated if I should go to Borivali and try photographing the stationary thing there. I dropped the plan partly because of the long queues...and returned back home.

No comments: