Saturday, November 22, 2008

Diwali temptations

Having been without salary for more than a year, I was quite excited to get it in October 2008. I had kept a list of things to buy ready. While I've not bought all of those yet, I've just indulged in buying my first iPod, a 2 GB iPod Shuffle.

My old Mobiblu cube and cute MP3 player had conked off due to my experiments. One day I noticed that there were some large MP3 files on the player which refused to get deleted. So I did a "mkfs.vfat" to reformat it. That foolish decision wiped out the player's software as well, I guess. It no longer worked. I tried to locate the CD that came along with the player, but I could not find it. Downloading the software over the web was not successful either. That's when I decided that it was time to but the Shuffle.

Among the list of things that I've lined up to be bought are:

  1. A new laptop (maybe Dell or HP). The old one was pretty useful (especially in my IITB days); however there is only so much that one can do with 512 MB of RAM and the Intel Centrino that came along with it.
  2. A DVD set containing Srila Prabhupada's videos / lectures (pretty expensive at about Rs. 4k)
  3. A set of Bose loudspeakers
  4. A new mobile phone which has the capability to set an MP3 as a ringtone (my old one is a good 6 years old)

No comments: