Saturday, October 04, 2008

Random notes...

There's nothing particular to write about...just a collection of happenings over the last few weeks.

Navratri:
I make it a point to visit the local "Sitladevi" temple during one of the nights of Navratri, the 9-night festival. Its not that I go every year, but these past few years, I have had the opportunity to visit it. This year, I went last night to the temple. The temple was surprisingly not crowded, inspite of it being a Friday (believed to be an auspicious day to worship the Devis). Usually, I would have had to stand in a longish queue, but not many were to be seen. Maybe I was late (it was about 20:30).

Usually, I do not visit the pandals. This year I decided to visit one local pandal where the idol of the Goddess was kept. I met one classmate there - it seemed to me that he was suffering from some anxiety...his eyes were all puffed up, as if due to lack of sleep. Then, I saw his elder brother whom I failed to recognize. My classmate told me that his brother, in his early 40s, had suffered from a paralytic stroke a little more than a year ago. His brother could hardly stand erect. Some other guys known to him were advising him to go to a particular doctor, etc. I slipped in my advice too...

The point is that everyone has some "story" to tell about how a particular doctor / treatment is the best one for any disease. Someone would recommend allopathy, others ayurveda, still others homeopathy, etc. At such a time, the person suffering usually feels that he / she has tried it all, and still nothing works...so I decided to keep mum.

It is quite surprising how a man so capable, so active, until just a few years ago in his prime should suffer so much so suddenly. Actually, this is a very much known phenomena...nothing surprising about it. Though people get surprised about it, they are ignorant. I was reminded of the famous Bhaja Govindam verse:

maa kuru jana dhana
yovana garvam
harati nimeshaat
kaalat sarvam

Meaning that one should not be proud of one's wealth, youth (strength / health), position, etc. Time can take it all away in a moment's notice.

So there it is in plain truth...that is knowledge.

I smiled not knowing what to do next (I am never good at such things as sympathy, etc.). I bade him goodbye and returned home.

No comments: