Thursday, December 22, 2005

ISKCON, the myth and the reality

My recent post (and the comments in that post) was against the "myths" created by people against those "good intentioned" godmen. As stated in the comments, I wish to put on record how my views about ISKCON changed, once I started to investigate the myths surrounding it. Here are the details...as briefly as I can state them.

We start with the myths first. BTW, this was also my original perception about ISKCON. The source of the myth probably lies in the famous old movie "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" where it was portrayed that foreigners came to India and took to drug abuse in the guise of spiritual learning. My elders had warned me about such things and somehow I came to suspect that these activities might be going on in the ISKCON temple at Juhu. During this period, I'd visited the temple a few times and though I did not see any such activity going on, I assumed there might be some "rooms" or "inner chambers" where this might be taking place.

Some time later, I was told that these people actually encourage people to become a "devotee" and once you get "trapped into this", one cannot "come out of it". Sounds familiar. This is the famous FUD thing (as mentioned in the original post about godmen).

A few years ago I was getting fed up of the routine life and felt there was something lacking - perhaps I had missed something important earlier. I also thought it might be worthwhile to investigate the myth by personally trying to probe a bit deeper.

Since ISKCON has a lot of books, I started reading some books. Most books are available in English - so a first-level understanding is not a problem. The problem was finding time to read the books and to find the correct books to read.

In about 2001, a co-worker (who was a "devotee" - in ISKCON terminology, a "devotee" has to follow 4 basic rules...will skip them here) brought a few copies of the "The Bhagvad Gita - As It Is" for selling. I bought one. That was the beginning. As if by pre-decided fate, a few months later, I found myself talking to this co-worker while commuting back from the workplace to home. The half-an-hour or so spent with him left me completely astonished. There were too many things to learn (maybe "unlearn" and "re-learn"). He made some valid points and I thought that I must try to understand (not read) the subject a bit more deeply.

Thus started the long journey to read a lot of books, to understand the philosophy, to understand what they preach - the destruction of the myth. There was no truth to the myth. Ignorance is equivalent to darkness. From the darkness to the light - that is what knowledge can do. The myth was total darkness.

I am still not a "devotee". There are some basic things required of a "devotee". But, there is nothing wrong or misleading in their philosophy either. These days I try to tell about this philosophy to other interested people - these are the people on the "fence". So what if I do not follow the teachings myself? I do not feel guilty about it. Some day I will get there.

Moral of the story: Those people who comment without knowing the details should shut up, understand first and then point out mistakes or opinions, if any. Commenting without understanding or experiencing the problem is a "dangerous thing" for the planet. Many people comment about Hinduism/Vedic religion. These people should understand (at least) the Bhagvad Gita first and then say what they want to say.

No comments: