Monday, December 05, 2005

Four weddings and a temple visit

This weekend, spilt over to Monday, included hectic trips to record my presence at four weddings. In addition, the weekend began with a visit to the Lord Ganesha temple at Titwala.

Saturday morning began normally and I had decided to visit the temple at Titwala. I took WR local to DDR and changed over to DR (Dadar, Central Railway). Then, there was some waiting time until the next local. So, I decided to take some tea from a nearby restaurant. I came back in time for a Badlapur fast local. I made sure I got a sitting place and then started the long journey to Kalyan (KYN). KYN was crowded as usual. I had to disembark at KYN and wait for the next local that was going to Kasara (KAS). A short time later I was at Titwala. A 5-minute "share-a-rickshaw" ride brought us to the temple. The rickshaw drivers have their pre-determined vendors where one can buy flowers and other offerings for the Lord. In addition, one can keep their footwear with them.

A 3-minute walk from the Ganesha temple is another temple - that of Shri Vitthal Rakhumai.

The wedding receptions were held at various places in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. The first two were on Saturday. The real challenge was in attending both. Both were in the evening (the usual 7:30 p.m. onwards) - one was in Byculla and the other in Bandra. But, I was up for the challenge...after all, it was quite possible with some careful thinking. I knew that if I had to do it, the local trains would be the best commuting option. I was at ADH at about 19:20. A fast train to CCG at about 19:30 ensured that I reached BCT at 19:40. A taxi from BCT to Byculla and I was at the reception at 19:45 before the bride and groom could arrive. Before I could sneak out to the other wedding, I met some people from the same apartment complex as mine. Then, I had to tag along with them. One of them had a car and my hopes of catching the other wedding reception soon disappeared when it seemed possible that I might accompany them in the car. Had I taken the train even at 21:00, I could've reached Bandra station by 21:15 and the venue by 21:30.

The car journey took a long time even inspite of a light traffic. Then, we had to find a "suitable" parking space. Since it was new car (about 15 days old), we also had to worry about other vehicles "scratching" against the gleaming paint of the car. I complimented myself on making a good decision not to own a car (yet!). We finally reached at about 22:15 and most of the guests had left. We just had some token dinner and left (again by car => more woes).

The 3rd reception was on Sunday. Again, I met quite a lot of our "neighbors". Some of them were amazed that I had reduced so much. Others (who had lost weight earlier) tried to advise me on how I should have tackled the weight problem. Some others were of the opinion that this life was meant for eating and drinking in the first half...yes, I thought to myself...and the rest half of the lifetime (and money) could be spent in being bed-ridden. Thanks, nevertheless, for showing so much concern.

The 4th reception was on Monday. That was not really a reception. It was a "re-reception". The actual wedding and reception was held in the North of India and this one was held in Navi Mumbai for those people who could not make it to the northern part. The very interesting part of this 4th reception was the food...it was what people might like to call "authentic Punjabi food". Since I am not from Punjab or the north (heh - until some years ago, the northern most part of India that I had visited was Vasai Road), I could not vouch for the authenticity. Nevertheless, it was quite tasty.

Thus ended a solid weekend of receptions and a temple visit. Was I exhausted? Not so much attending those as I was in writing this. Phew!

No comments: