Saturday, April 16, 2005

Bought "Computer Networks" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum

As stated earlier, I need to prepare myself for admission to the M. Tech. course. This may involve giving a written test with the syllabus including Computer Networks. Among the recommended books of study is the classic "Computer Networks" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum.

We also had this book as a reference for the Bachelor of Engineering course and it seemed to me that I could use the same book (which I had bought about 13 years ago). That was the second edition of the book.

I was at Matunga today and happened to pass by the place where there are a lot of book stores that sell text-books for all sorts of courses ("Shanti Book Depot", "Vimal Book Center", "Madhu Book Depot", etc.). I decided to check out the new edition of the book. To my surprise, the fourth edition of the book covered a host of different topics than we had in the second edition. This is also stated in the "Introduction" by Tanenbaum. There is a lot of coverage of "modern-day" topics like WLL, wireless networks, 2G and 3G, ADSL, Internet on Cable, etc.

I bought the book hoping that I could use it to prepare for the written test.

No comments: