Sunday, May 08, 2011

A lesson in mathematics for a rickshaw driver

I had earlier written about how to compute the regular fare for the Mumbai autorickshaws. At the end of a rickshaw trip, I try to pronounce the fare computed from the meter reading. This usually impresses the rickshaw drivers. On a couple of occasions, I even tried explaining the mathematics to some of them.

Very recently, I found a rickshaw driver who was keenly interested in knowing this computation. When I explained the simple mathematics behind it, he was quite amazed. In fact, he was so grateful that he waived off a couple of rupees of the fare. I did not accept the reduction in fare, however, and paid the fare in full to the exact rupee.

Unfortunately, unlike for the regular fare, I was unable to come up with a curve fitting simple equation for the late-night (post-midnight) fare. Maybe I should've tried using a more advanced software such as MATLAB or Scilab or some other curve fitting tools.

No comments: