Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shikari Shambu, Suppandi, and others

I received a huge cache of comics last week that I had ordered from Amar Chitra Katha. I had placed a couple of orders from the online store, and I have had no regrets so far.

It all started about a year ago when I had bought a Tinkle comic from a newspaper stand. I was reminded of my youth days when comics ruled the roost, and were a staple time pass for school vacations. Subsequently, I also found a digest of Suppandi stories. One thing led to another, and soon I found that there were other good collection sets available, but none available easily at newspaper stands. So the online shop came in handy. More sets of the Suppandi collection followed. Then, very recently I had ordered this set of Humor collection (Birbal,  Tenali Raman, Gopal) from the online store. And, by the way, shipping is free within Mumbai (done through DTDC couriers).

Here's a scan from a comic devoted to Shikari Shambu stories.

And one of the comics on Birbal contains the now standard Narayan Murthy quote:
"Amar Chitra Kathas are a glorious tribute to India’s rich cultural heritage. These books have been an integral part of my children’s early years, as they have been for many other families across India. Comics are a great way of reaching out to children, inculcating reading habits and driving their quest to learn more about our roots.”

2 comments:

Rajani said...

Like like :) I look forward to diving thru your collection at some future time... we also bought a few ACKs for Rishabh last time we were in India :)

R.Ganesh said...

While browsing found you, a fan of Tinkle. Inviting you to say a word of thanks to its creator.

http://indiaeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/02/who-created-favorite-books-of-our.html