Sunday, October 03, 2010

Thoughts of a car finally hit the brain

After years of not wanting to own a car, thoughts of have now started emerging in my brain. All these years I couldn't even differentiate between the various models. But a learning session with a co-worker now makes sure that I know a Maruti Swift from a Hyundai i10, or for that matter what is a VXI, ZXI or a VDI.

One of the things I realized I was missing out was on being able to travel with family on weekends. That meant that I was missing out on visiting places on the outskirts of Mumbai. I am also close to being convinced that the Maruti Swift is a broad compact car (it has the same width as a Maruti Swift Dzire) which means it can accommodate 5 people with ease.

I have driven extensively in the USA, including dense cities such as Boston. This experience also includes a 10 hour drive from Massachusetts to Akron, Ohio. I was not sure whether I could drive in the crazy Mumbai traffic. But if the intention is to drive on the weekends, then this is not that big a problem. Plus a realization that if others could, why couldn't I.

I am also clear that the first car should be a pre-owned car - one that should be ready to receive scratches and dents - a common experience for a new driver in Mumbai.

No comments: